Tuesday 28 January 2014

Sprue Cutters Union #26 - Glue

- What glue(s) do you use, and how do you apply them? -

A simple one this one, what we use and do..

Glues used on the dinner bench are, from most used to less used:

Tamiya Extra Thin
Used for all the major construction on a kitset, and applied with the great fine brush supplied with the bottle.

It's my everday cement for plastic parts, I love how you only need a little, and how it evaporates quickly if you get it where you don't want it, just don't touch it, or you'll be repairing a smear mark.

Super Glue/CA cheap thin stuff, and Selleys thick type

These I tend to use mainly for filling and dissimilar materials, metals to plastic etc.

Applied with one of these two applicators:

Toothpick with a section of fine copper wire wrapped around it. Can pick up small amounts of glue, and when tip gets build up on it, just pull a bit more copper wire out.

When I need a large dollop.. 
It's sewing needle, stuck into ta bit of wooden chopstick, then the tip of the loop snapped off, and lightly sanded the sharp edges off.

I made a couple of these and use them for applying CA accelerator as well. Lets you get a small amount of accelerator onthe CA with out it flowing everywhere.

Helmar Tiger Grip PVA type glue

This stuff, I found in a craft store and is my favourite pva type glue, sets up quite quickly, thins with water. I use it for glazing windows, occasionally canopies, little canopy fill jobs and attaching parts during the final assembly after paint.

Normally I apply it with a tip of a toothpick, or a paint brush.

Tube Poly Cement
I use tube glue for the large four engine builds I have done, for the wing root attachment points, where the fit isn't as good as it should be, and I want to make sure I get a bond all the way across the joint surface.

Applied with a toothpick or when feeling brave, straight form the tube.

Five Minute Epoxy
Cheapo five minute epoxy, which I've use for reinforcing joints. 
Applied with a toothpick, or a thicker stick.

All the best.

Jim

Stick around with the other unionists:

1 comment:

Private tutor Lighthouse said...

This could be one specific with the most beneficial blogs Private Tutor Pinecrest We have ever arrive across on this subject. Really Wonderful. I’m also an expert in this topic so I can understand your hard work.

Post a Comment